Submitted by Kevin Martin April 5, 1997
Capt. Daniel M. Candor
Capt. Daniel M. Candor was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, in 1836, and came with his parents, Thomas and Margaret (Montgomery) Candor, to Mercer county when he was one year old. His early education was such as he could get in the pioneer schools of his neighborhood, with two years' course in the academy at Macomb, Illinois. He remained on the farm with his parents till of age. He went to Pike's Peak in 1859, stayed two years, returned in 1860, and enlisted in 1861, in company A, 30th Ill. Vol., and served a few days over four years. He first enlisted for three years, or during the war, and afterward veteranized at Vicksburg. He was in the following engagements: Belmont, Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, the skirmishes around Shiloh, Brittin's Lane, Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Mississippi, Champion Hills, siege of Vicksburg, Kennesaw Mountain, sieges of Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, Raleigh, Bentonville, and Goldsborough, and then went to Washington by way of Richmond. He was commissioned captain of his company October 27, 1864, which commission he held till the company was mustered out of the service. Following the siege of Vicksburg he was promoted to the office of orderly sergeant from the office of commissary sergeant. At the battle of Atlanta he received a wound in the head.
His parents located in Ohio Grove township when they came to Mercer county, and continued to reside there till 1856. His mother died in 1871, at the age of seventy-five years. His father, Thomas Candor, was married a second time to Mary L. Boardman, and died in 1874, aged seventy-five years. Capt. Candor's parents, Margaret and Thomas, were both natives of Pennsylvania. Capt. Candor was married in 1868 to Emma J. Girton, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1842, and daughter of Baltis and Anna E. Girton, both of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. They came to Illinois in 1872, and now live in Hamlet. Mr. and Mrs. Candor have three children: Graham L., born in 1868, Thomas G., 1870, and Edna, in 1879. He has a well improved farm of 175 acres, adjoining Hamlet. He keeps a good grade of all kinds of stock. He and his brother Josiah were partners in the mercantile business in Hamlet from 1867 to 1881. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church at Hamlet.
"History of Mercer County", H.H. Hill and Company, Chicago 1882