John W. Peterson
 
 
John W. Peterson, one of the old and respected citizens of New Windsor, died at his home on Sunday evening, May 23, 1897, at 7 o'clock, after an illness lasting over a period of a couple of years. The deceased was born at Whiting, West Virginia, on June 11, 1825, being at the time of his death almost seventy-two years old. He was united in marriage at Pulaskiville, Ohio, September 20, 1846, to Almira Linn and to this union were born seven children, Mary Ottilla, Sylvia Jane, Henry B., Emily E., Alice R., Charles F., and Silas E., all of whom, save the second daughter, survive the father. The deceased came to Illinois in 1852 settling in Rivoli township and in 1858 to New Windsor, where he has resided with the exception of a few years, during which he lived in Oxford, ever since. The deceased was always an active citizen who was held in the highest respect of all. On several occasions he was elected assessor for the township and served more than one term as postmaster, in which positions he gave the best of satisfaction. Mr. Peterson was stricken with paralysis two years ago and since that time has been an invalid. Some time within a week or two before his death he is supposed to have had a second stroke which caused his death. Mr. and Mrs. H.B.Peterson of Princeton, Illinois, and Charles T. Peterson of New Salem, North Dakota, were present for the funeral which was held from the late residence at 10 a.m. Wednesday, May 26, and interment took place in the New Windsor cemetery.
 
The Times Record, Aledo, Mercer County, IL, May 1897.
Previous  |  Next ]     [ Up  |  First  |  Last ]     (Article 541 of 587)